Table of Contents
FTP is an acronym with various uses. Here the most common English expression alludes to the File Transfer Protocol (in our language, Protocol File Transfer ), used in computer science.
Cheers to FTP, two computers (computers) that do not use the same operating system can communicate. Here it is possible since the communicating entities use the same protocol that is already standardized.
FTP is a network protocol
- However, rules establish how two or more entities must communicate to transmit details.
- In the specific case of FTP, it is a protocol focused on transferring files through a TCP / IP type network that is founded on the client-server architecture.
- Here the client computer connects to the server via FTP to send or download files in this framework. That is why applications are often used to transfer material but with encrypted traffic.
What the FTP Rules?
Here, establish the parameters necessary to achieve the connection (indicating the transfer mode, ports, etc.)
- Besides, specify what type of process will be carrying out on the file system (add, delete, copy ). Meanwhile, the relation is bi-directional. Files can be loading and sent simultaneously.
- Usually, the user uses an FTP client to establish communication, which uses FTP to connect to an FTP server (another program whose function is to exchange files between different computers).
- Here the FTP client can upload or download files from another computer by clicking on the FTP server.
- Also, connecting computers do not need the same operating system to upload or download files. Furthermore, they do not need to share the same architecture: main work and memory access.
- Here we can say that mobile phones with the Android operating system are founding on a different processor architecture than Windows computers.
- Then, it does not prevent these two groups from exchanging files via an FTP server. However, in this way, we can send photos and videos from the phone to our computer for backup, a widespread practice.
- But, it is essential to point out that Internet access is unnecessary if the file exchange through an [FTP] server is carrying out between devices that share the same network connection.
- In other words, those users who pay for a metered connection to the Internet, with a consumption limit per month.
- Should not worry since all the uploads and downloads that they make in this context will not use data from their plans.
- Here the most widely used family of products for these purposes is FileZilla, which offers both an open-source [FTP] client and server.
- Cheers to these two options, both free, millions of people configure their file-sharing systems without daily problems.
- The FileZilla originally ran exclusively on the Windows operating system, but today it can also be installing on macOS, FreeBSD, and GNU / Linux.
- It should see that it has no relationship with the Mozilla company, despite its name.