becoming elizabeth season 2: Starz’s historical drama Becoming Elizabeth was canceled after one season in September 2023, despite critical acclaim and a dedicated fan base. The series followed the teenage years of Princess Elizabeth Tudor (Alicia von Rittberg) through the lens of a political thriller, as she navigated the treacherous waters of the English court following the death of her father, King Henry VIII.
While there will be no Season 2, fans can still speculate about what might have been. Here is a detailed article on Becoming Elizabeth Season 2, with its cast and story.
Table of Contents
Season 1 Recap
Season 1 of Becoming Elizabeth ended with Elizabeth caught in a dangerous love triangle between her lover Thomas Seymour (Tom Cullen), her sister Mary Tudor (Romola Garai), and her cousin Lady Jane Grey (Bella Ramsey). Thomas was married to Elizabeth’s stepmother, Catherine Parr (Jessica Raine), but he was clearly drawn to Elizabeth. Mary, meanwhile, was a devout Catholic who was deeply suspicious of Elizabeth’s Protestant leanings. Jane was the rightful heir to the throne, but her youth and inexperience made her a pawn in the political games of the court.
Season 2 Potential Storylines
Season 2 of Becoming Elizabeth could have explored any number of potential storylines, including:
- The rise of Robert Dudley (Jamie Blackley): Dudley was a dashing young courtier who became Elizabeth’s closest friend and confidant. He was also rumored to be her lover, although they never married. Dudley played a key role in Elizabeth’s rise to the throne, and he would have continued to be a major force in her life in Season 2.
- The religious conflict between Catholics and Protestants: England was deeply divided along religious lines in the 16th century. Elizabeth was a Protestant, but she tried to maintain a balance between the two factions. However, the religious conflict would have continued to escalate in Season 2, and Elizabeth would have been forced to take a more decisive stance.
- The threat of foreign invasion: England was under threat from both Spain and France in the 16th century. Elizabeth would have had to navigate these complex diplomatic challenges in order to protect her country.
- Elizabeth’s personal life: Elizabeth was a complex and contradictory figure. She was intelligent, ambitious, and ruthless, but she was also deeply insecure and lonely. Season 2 could have explored her inner life and her relationships with the people around her in more depth.
The cast of Becoming Elizabeth Season 2
Furthermore, it includes all the information about the cast members including the main cast as well as the supporting cast:
- Alicia von Rittberg as Elizabeth Tudor
Alicia von Rittberg is a German actress who is best known for her roles in the films Charite (2017), All My Loving (2019), and Persuasion (2022). She plays the role of Elizabeth Tudor, the future Queen Elizabeth I of England, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- Romola Garai as Mary Tudor
Romola Garai is an English actress who is best known for her roles in the film Atonement (2007). Henceforth, Emma (2020), and The Last Kingdom (2015-2022). She plays the role of Mary Tudor, the eldest daughter of Henry VIII and his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- Jessica Raine as Catherine Parr
Jessica Raine is an English actress who is best known for her roles in the television series Call the Midwife (2012-2014), Wolf Hall (2015), and Victoria (2016-2019). Hence, She plays the role of Catherine Parr, the sixth and final wife of Henry VIII, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- Tom Cullen as Thomas Seymour
Tom Cullen is a Welsh actor who is best known for his roles in the television series Downton Abbey (2012-2013), Black Mirror (2017), and Knightfall (2017-2019). He plays the role of Thomas Seymour, the brother of Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, and the fourth husband of Henry VIII’s widow, Catherine Parr, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- Bella Ramsey as Jane Grey
Bella Ramsey is an English actress who is best known for her roles in the television series Game of Thrones (2016-2019). Moreover, his Dark Materials (2019-present), and The Last of Us (2023). She plays the role of Jane Grey, the nine-day queen of England in 1553, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- Oliver Zetterstrom as King Edward VI
Oliver Zetterstrom is a Swedish actor who is best known for his role in the television series. However, the Last Kingdom (2020-2022). He plays the role of King Edward VI, the only son of Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, in Becoming Elizabeth.
- John Heffernan as Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset
John Heffernan is an English actor who is best known for his roles in the television series. Doctor Who (2015), Call the Midwife (2016-2017), and The Crown (2019). Also, he plays the role of Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, the Lord Protector of England during the reign of his nephew, King Edward VI, in Becoming Elizabeth.
Other Notable Cast Members
- Jamie Parker as John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland
- Jamie Blackley as Lord Robert Dudley
- Jacob Avery as Lord Guildford Dudley
- Alexandra Gilbreath as Kat Ashley
- Leo Bill as Henry Grey
- Ekow Quartey as Pedro
- Alex Macqueen as Stephen Gardiner
- Olivier Huband as Ambassador Guzman
Furthermore, it is disappointing that Becoming Elizabeth will not be returning for a second season, fans can still enjoy the first season and speculate about what might have been. The series offered a unique and compelling perspective on one of the most fascinating figures in English history.